Dear Friends of Grace in Action,
The last year and a half have been life-altering for all of us, and for many it has been a time of dramatic change and reevaluation. Through this time of sheltering we have continued to welcome our guests who continue to be so grateful for the “oasis”, as one guest described Grace in Action. The lunches and other services are provided outdoors with masks in place. Please view the “Covid” section of this website to learn about our current operations.
As the Board of Directors, it is our responsibility to relay to all of our partners that our amazing Executive Director—Steve Smith—has prayerfully decided that it is time to retire and move on to the next great adventure. However, to assist with this transition, he has graciously promised to stay on and serve in his current role until he is able to hand over the directorship to a new individual.
The Grace in Action Board of Directors is seeking applicants who love Jesus, have a heart for the marginalized of our community, and meet the requirements stated in the job description which follows this letter. We respectfully ask that you help us spread the word through as many means as are available and feasible to you. We ask that all applicants submit both a resume and cover letter to the Grace in Action Board at email@example.com.
Lastly, please join the Grace in Action Board of Directors in prayer for the search and hiring process. We are trusting in the knowledge that God will find the right next Director to keep propelling Grace in Action forward.
Grace in Action Board of Directors
Employee shall be the Executive Director of Grace in Action, Inc. with power and authority to manage and conduct all business of the ministry under the guidance of the Board of Directors. The expected time commitment is 20 hours per week with the possibility of increased time as needed. Compensation will be determined based on experience and salary history.
|DUTIES (completed with the support of a board of directors and dozens of regular volunteers):|
* Oversee all aspects of the Monday and Wednesday lunch programs;
* Conduct outreach to unsheltered individuals in and around Davis;
* Maintain close working relationships with other service providers, including Davis Community Meals, HEART of Davis (formerly the Interfaith Rotating Winter Shelter), and public agencies such as Legal Services of Northern California and City of Davis and Yolo County resources;
* Provide training, advice, and critical updates to the congregations of Davis concerning their role in meeting the needs of homeless individuals and others struggling with poverty;
* Hold times of prayer to focus on the needs of guests, volunteers, and policymakers;
* Hold book/Bible studies as requested by guests;
* Provide direction and leadership in formulating and carrying out Grace in Action’s philosophy, mission, and annual goals and objectives;
* Collaborate with the Board to develop and implement policies, procedures, and long-range strategic plans;
* Supervise the volunteer program and provide training for volunteers;
* Provide monthly status reports for Board meetings;
* Coordinate with host congregations whose facilities are used by Grace in Action;
* Develop public communications in coordination with the Board;
* Participate in preparation of Grace in Action’s annual budget.
· Have a servant’s heart and desire to serve Christ through ministering to the homeless and underserved community
· Possess a high standard of personal integrity
· Exhibit organizational leadership skills
· Maintain an active spiritual life and practices to promote spiritual and emotional growth
· Be dedicated to a collaborative approach to ministry
· Communicate clearly verbally and in writing
· Interact with a wide variety of people across class, racial, and cultural lines and engender trust
· Confront guests when dealing with unacceptable behavior
· Self-correct and accept correction from others
· Maintain confidentiality in all communications with guests, except on an as-needed basis with Board members
We ask that all applicants submit both a resume and cover letter to the Grace in Action Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.